These Apple and Cinnamon Pikelets are perfect for babies and infants who are learning to self feed. Full of fibre from fresh apples and protein from the egg, they will leave your youngster feeling full. They are sweet enough that a little yoghurt on top is enough for babies and toddlers alike. Apart from being good for you, they taste delicious and make a great lunchbox snack or entertaining food if your little one has a playdate. Simply make the mixture the day before of time and refrigerate, then lightly pan fry when ready to serve. For children who need gluten or dairy free, try adding apple and cinnamon to this recipe.
Apple and Cinnamon Pikelets Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Makes: approx. 12 pikelets
- Ingredients: 1 apple, 1 egg, 1 cup self raising flour, 2 tablespoons of milk, 25g melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel the apple, remove the core and chop into 1cm cubes.
- Place into the steamer basket of the Babycook, fill to level 2 and press steam.
- Once finished, put half of the cooked apple into the Babycook mixing bowl, adding small amounts of the liquid and puree.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into the Babycook mixing bowl with the apple purée. Blend until mixed. Stir through the other half of the cooked apple with the spatula.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Melt a small amount of butter or cover pan with spray cooking oil
- Pour small pancakes of about 10cm in size
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles appear on surface, and then flip over to cook the other side.
Et voila, bon appétit!
Many children will enjoy eating the pancakes fresh without any 'toppings'. If you would like to serve with a healthy topping rather than ice-cream, try some natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt with berries.