When introducing new foods to your baby, it is important to not only think about different flavours for them to try, but also to ensure they are trying foods high in iron. Iron rich foods are needed for babies, as at around 6 months of age, breast milk iron stores naturally decrease and at this time, many infants exhaust their iron stores. With both beef and legumes being great iron rich first foods, this recipe is perfect for for your child's first few months of eating and beyond. We also have this great Rice Porridge with Pear Puree recipe which is another great iron rich, first food for your little one.
This recipe makes a delicious puree that is sweet enough for most babies while still being nutritious and satisfying. The recipe can also be used to make meatballs if you are doing Baby Led Weaning or want to introduce some finger foods. Simply roll them into balls (ensure they are not too 'wet') and then lightly cooked in a pan.
Beef, Pumpkin and Beans Puree recipe
- Suitable from: 4+ month old
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time:15 minutes
- Ingredients: 100g mince beef, 1 cup of pumpkin, 1/2 cup of beans.
- Remove the skin from the pumpkin and chop into 1cm cubes.
- Take the ends off the beans and slice into small pieces of approximately 2cms in length.
- Put the all ingredients into the steamer basket of the Babycook.
- Pour water into the tank to level 3.
- Start the cooking process.
- When it is cooked, Babycook tip the ingredients into the mixing bowl, reserving the cooking liquid. Add the cooking liquid to bring the purée to the desired consistency and blend. (If rolling into meatballs, ensure it is not too wet.)
Et voila, bon appétit!
When making first foods for your little one such as this recipe, freeze the left overs in a Multiportions tray or conservation jars so that you have an easy meal to pop out and defrost in the Babycook.