Spinach is packed with vitamins and minerals and provides dietary fibre. In Australia, spinach is at its peak between March and November, meaning now is a great time to make some yummy spinach dishes and freeze for later! Pumpkins are also in season at this time, meaning they make a great combination and the perfect autumn dish! They are a great source of beta-carotene and vitamin C and also contain dietary fibre. All this fibre, means they are great to help keep baby feeling full and their bowel movements regular. Using these healthy veggies and making them into muffins means you have a convenient mini-meal that your kids will enjoy eating and is also easy to take for a snack if you're out and about or even for school lunch boxes. Mums and Dads will love these too, just add a little salt and pepper to taste!
Pumpkin, Spinach and Feta Muffin Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Makes: 12 small muffins
- Ingredients: 100g pumpkin, 1 cup of spinach, 6 eggs, 50g feta cheese, 1/4 cup of natural yoghurt, 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and chop the pumpkin into 1cm cubes.
- Rinse the spinach in water and place in the steamer basket of the Babycook with the pumpkin.
- Fill the Babycook with water to level 3 and press steam button.
- While the vegetables are steaming, place eggs, yoghurt and flour in a large mixing bowl. Whisk and then add half of the crumbled feta cheese.
- When the Babycook has finished, put the spinach and half of the pumpkin into the mixing bowl with the other ingredients and gently mix.
- Pour into two multiportions trays (or regular muffin tray sprayed with coconut oil.)
- Place remaining cubes of pumpkin into each muffin and sprinkle remaining feta on top.
- Cook in oven for approximately 20 minutes.
Et voila, bon appétit!
These freeze and defrost well, so store what you don't eat in an airtight container in the freezer until ready to eat.