Does your little one love spaghetti bolognese, but you are looking for an alternative that they will love? This lamb moussaka is for you! In this Babycook recipe, this classic Greek and Middle Eastern lamb dish is reimagined into a healthy, family friendly meal. Packed full of veggies including eggplant, carrots and lentils, your little one will never know all the veggies hidden inside this delicious dish! Make it with our healthier white sauce, or go more traditional and use butter, flour and milk instead, the choice is yours. Our family all love the healthier version - especially when made with parmesan cheese!
Lamb Moussaka Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 200g lamb mince, 1/2 onion, 1/2 garlic, 1/2 small eggplant, 1/2 carrot, 200g tin lentils, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sauce: 1 egg, 2 tablespoons yoghurt, 30g grated cheese (we like parmesan but cheddar works too!), 1/2 teaspoon cornflour
- Peel the onion and carrot.
- Chop the onion, carrot and eggplant into 1cm cubes.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Rinse the lentils.
- Place the lamb, vegetables and cinnamon in the steamer basket of the Babycook.
- Fill the Babycook with water to level 3 and press steam button.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- When cooked, put all of the ingredients in the blending bowl while reserving the cooking liquid. Blend adding the cooking water to reach desired consistency. For older children/adults, leave chunky.
- Take the moussaka mixture and spread evenly across the base of 6 individual ovenproof dishes such as the multiportions tray, or one large ovenproof dish.
- Place all sauce ingredients into the mixing bowl of the Babycook and mix.
- Tip the sauce over the moussaka mixture and place in the oven.
- Remove when the top appears golden brown - about 10-15 minutes for mini dishes, and 20-25 minutes when using one large dish.
Et voila, bon appétit!
You can also make with a traditional white sauce (butter, flour and milk) instead of this healthy alternative.