While fresh flatbreads are perfect for babies and toddlers lunches, they also make great wraps for burritos or even souvlaki meats. Buying them fresh is great, but not that convenient as they don't stay soft for long, and are quite expensive per piece of bread! Making them is easier and quicker than you can imagine and makes super soft and delicious breads that people of all ages will love!
Homemade Flat Bread Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 5 minutes + 30 minutes resting time
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Ingredients: 1½ cups plain flour, ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons oil, ½ cup warm water
- Combine all dry ingredients into the Babycook mixing bowl. Blend until mixed.
- Add the oil and water and blend in 10 second increments until mixed.
- Scrape out the mixture and place on a smooth, floured surface.
- Roll into a large ball, ensuring it is well mixed and smooth and then cut into four pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball and cut in half again.
- Roll each piece, making 8 fairly consistent sized balls.
- Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand and then cover with a tea towel and leave to rest for approximately 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle more flour onto your bench and one at a time, roll out each ball to your desired thickness and size with a rolling pin.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Cover pan with spray cooking oil and cook one flat bread at a time.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on surface and then flip over.
- Serve warm and fresh, or place in sealed container in the fridge for up to 24-48 hours.
Et voila, bon appétit!
Make the dough ahead of time and then cook just before serving to enjoy them soft and warm!