Are you always running out of ideas for what to cook for your toddler for lunch in a hurry? Often, when we're running low on time, we throw together a peanut butter sandwich or cheese and crackers. While there's nothing wrong with those options, sometimes we all want a little variety! This super quick and easy recipe is not only delicious but also means you can sneak in some more veggies for your little one, and goes well served with a steamed egg too. The avocado and pea smash is also suitable for younger babies, but you may wish to skip the toast.
Looking for other quick and easy lunch options for your little one? Try our Pea Pancakes or our Homemade Hummus and Beetroot Dips. For Further advice on steaming eggs in the Babycook, check out this post.
Avocado and Pea Smash Recipe
- Suitable from: 8+ month old
- Preparation time: 2 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Makes: enough smash for 2 pieces of toast
- Ingredients: 1/3 cup of peas, 1/4 avocado, a splash of lemon juice, 1 egg (optional), 1 or 2 pieces of toast.
- Put peas and the egg (optional) into the Babycook steamer basket.
- Fill the Babycook with water to level 1 and press the steam button. (If you like your eggs a little runny, go a little under level 1).
- Peel the avocado and roughly chop into pieces.
- Pop the toast down on the toaster.
- Once the Babycook has finished steaming, tip the peas into a bowl with the avocado and using a fork, mash to combine.
- Place the egg in a cup of cold water before peeling the shell if serving to a little one!
Et voila, bon appétit!
Serve to your family for a healthy and delicious cooked breakfast! If serving to adults, season with a pinch of salt and serve with goats cheese.